Portland injury attorney

Eight Injured in SUV Collision on Highway 99E


Location: Highway 99E and Territorial Rd, Canby
Names: Meredith Paeper, Maria Cardenas, three adults, three minors

The Canby Herald reported that eight people were injured, six requiring hospitalization, when two SUV’s collided at Highway 99E and Territorial Road in Canby.

Three women and a child were transported to trauma centers in the area; two were taken to Oregon Health & Science University Hospital and two were taken to Legacy Emanuel Medical Center. Canby Fire District 62 reported that two toddler-aged boys were treated at Providence Willamette Falls Medical Center and two other patients were treated at the scene for minor injuries.

The Oregon car collision occurred at 4:12pm. Oregon State Police said that Meredith Paeper, age 33 of Hubbard, was driving north on Highway 99E in a 2002 Kia SUV when she ran a red light and crashed into the side of a 2002 Buick SUV being driven by Maria Cardenas, age 47 of Canby. Cardenas was carrying three adults and three minors in her vehicle. The police cited Paeper for failing to obey a traffic control device.

Our hearts go out to everyone involved in this sudden crash, especially the children. We are relieved that there was no loss of life. We hope every person involved recovers quickly, with no longterm injuries.

When children are injured, the law can get complicated fast. For example, while the standard Oregon injury case must be filed within 2 years of the accident, the statute of limitations for children, on the other hand, is not so straightforward. ORS 12.160 steps you through the process for figuring out the statute of limitations. First, the regular statute of limitations applies. Second, it doesn’t start running until the child turns 18 years old. But, third, the statute cannot be extended more than five years. And fourth, it cannot be extended beyond the child’s 19th birthday. In addition to the statute of limitations, there’s also the issue of money. Money recovered belongs to the injured child, not to his or her parents. In certain cases, a judge will need to oversee the situation to make sure this happens.

A competent Portland personal injury attorney can help guide a family through the process of working with the insurance company to best cover the expenses that follow a serious accident like this, and with the police while they complete their investigation. Please feel free to contact us for further information.