Portland Uber and Lyft Accident Lawyer
Rideshare companies like Uber and Lyft offer a popular transportation option in the Portland area. Although these services may seem safe and affordable, rideshare drivers can still be involved in accidents—leading to physical, emotional, and financial hardship for their passengers. If you are injured in a Portland Uber or Lyft accident, you may have grounds for legal action. In these situations, the Uber and Lyft accident attorneys at DuBois Law Group can help you secure the compensation you deserve. Our Portland-based specialists can guide you through the claims process and advocate aggressively for your right to recovery.
Why Choose A Portland Uber and Lyft Accident Lawyer From DuBois Law Group?
- Our firm has helped hundreds of Oregon residents secure the compensation they need to recover from their injuries. We have won millions of dollars in settlements and jury verdicts over our years of operation.
- Our personal injury attorneys take on a small number of cases at a time to maximize our results. Our small caseload allows us to provide each client with the dedication and personalized attention they deserve.
- If you need specialized medical attention, our firm can help. We operate a separate medical department staffed by healthcare professionals who can connect you with the treatment and specialists you need.
Who Is Liable for a Rideshare Accident in Oregon?
Oregon is a fault car accident state, requiring at-fault drivers to pay for the losses of any victims in accidents they cause. This fault system extends to car accidents involving rideshare drivers. Depending on the circumstances surrounding your accident, multiple parties may be liable for your collision.
- If the rideshare driver causes the accident, he or she would be liable for your damages. You could file an insurance claim or lawsuit against the driver directly, or you could file an insurance claim through Uber or Lyft.
- If you are in a rideshare vehicle and another driver causes the collision, the third-party driver would be liable for your damages. You would file a lawsuit or insurance claim against the third-party driver, not the rideshare driver.
- If the accident occurs due to a defective auto part or a defective vehicle, you could file a claim against the manufacturer, distributor, or retailer of that defective product.
You may wonder if you could file a lawsuit against Uber or Lyft directly after an accident caused by one of their drivers. These companies consider rideshare drivers to be independent contractors, not employees. As a result, filing a lawsuit against these companies is unlikely to be successful. To identify the best course of action for your case, speak to a Portland personal injury attorney at DuBois Law Group as soon as possible.
If you were a pedestrian and you were struck by a ridesharing vehicle, don’t hesitate to call our Portland pedestrian accident attorneys to handle your case.
What Are Uber and Lyft Insurance Limits?
Uber and Lyft offer insurance coverage to drivers and passengers who are injured in accidents caused by their drivers. However, you will need to file a claim against the rideshare driver’s private insurance first before you can file a claim against the company policy. Many individual insurance policies do not provide compensation while a driver is using his or her vehicle for commercial purposes, so your claim may be denied.
If the driver’s company denies your claim or you do not receive an adequate settlement, you can file a claim against Uber or Lyft. These companies offer similar coverage based on when the accident occurred.
- If the driver was not logged into the Uber or Lyft app, the company will not provide coverage. In this situation, you should be able to file a claim against the driver’s private insurance.
- If the driver is logged into the Uber or Lyft app but has not accepted a ride request, the company will provide coverage of up to $50,000 per person, $100,000 in total liability, and $25,000 for property damage.
- If the driver has accepted a request and is on the way to pick up a passenger, or if the driver has a passenger in the car, the company will provide liability coverage of up to $1 million. Uber or Lyft may also provide coverage for damage to the rideshare driver’s vehicle and uninsured motorist coverage.
What Damages Are Available in Oregon Rideshare Accident Claims?
Through the use of an Uber or Lyft accident attorney, you can recover compensation for the economic and non-economic damages you sustained in the collision. Economic damages involve your financial losses, while non-economic damages encompass your pain and suffering. Common damages in Uber and Lyft accident claims include the following.
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Chronic pain
- Emotional distress
- Rehabilitation and physical therapy
- Depression and anxiety
- Loss of future earnings
What to Do After a Portland Uber or Lyft Accident?
If you are injured in an Uber or Lyft accident, it is important to seek help as soon as possible. Call 911 and report the accident to law enforcement, and ask the responding officer for his or her information so you can find the police report later. If you are able to move around the accident scene without further injury, try to document as much evidence as you can. Take photographs of your injuries and property damage, ask any witnesses in the area for their contact details, and exchange information with the drivers at the scene.
One of the most important steps you should take after an Uber or Lyft accident is to seek medical attention. Your medical records will be vital pieces of evidence in your injury claim, and it is important to receive prompt treatment to avoid further complications. You should always seek medical attention, even if you do not feel injured. Your injuries may be more serious than you realize, such as spinal cord or brain injuries. Furthermore, failure to seek treatment could harm your future claim.
Once you seek treatment, contact a Portland car accident attorney as soon as possible. Your lawyer will be able to evaluate your claim and identify your optimal path to recovery. He or she will then take the first steps toward filing your claim and obtaining the settlement you need.
Contact DuBois Law Group
Are you the victim of an Uber or Lyft accident in Portland? The attorneys at DuBois Law Group can help you navigate the complex claims process and secure the compensation you deserve. Contact us today to schedule a free case consultation and learn more about your legal options with a Portland Uber and Lyft accident attorney.