Portland Boating Accident Attorney
Many residents of Portland and the surrounding areas enjoy recreational boating as a way to enjoy Oregon’s natural beauty. Unfortunately, not all boating excursions go as planned—and many people sustain severe, sometimes life-threatening injuries while on the water.
If you are injured in a boating accident in Portland, the lawyers at DuBois Law Group can help. Our boating accident attorneys can represent you in your injury claim and help you recover the compensation you deserve.
Why Choose A Portland Boating Accident Lawyer From DuBois Law Group?
- Our Portland personal injury attorneys have years of experience representing Oregon residents, securing millions of dollars in compensation.
- Our firm operates on a contingency fee basis. If we do not secure compensation in your case, you will not be charged legal fees.
- Navigating a boating accident claim can be difficult after a recent personal injury. Our lawyers will handle the entirety of your case so you can focus on recovery.?
What Are Some Boating Accident Statistics?
Each year, the United States Coast Guard (USCG) gathers statistics on recreational boating accidents across the country. In 2020 alone, the USCG identified 5,265 separate accidents that resulted in 3,191 injuries and 767 fatalities. These accidents also resulted in $62.5 million in property damage.
According to 2020 data, the most common causes of boating accidents include the following.
- Operator inattention resulted in 664 accidents.
- Operator inexperience caused 612 accidents.
- Improper lookout led to 578 accidents.
- Speeding contributed to 418 accidents.
- Machinery failure caused 373 accidents.
- Violations of navigational rules led to 316 accidents.
- Alcohol use was involved in 296 accidents.
What Legal Options Are Available for Oregon Boating Accident Victims
If you are injured in a boating accident due to someone else’s negligent actions, you have the right to recover compensation from the at-fault party. Through your claim, you can recover compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and the pain and suffering you sustained due to the accident. You can recover these damages by filing an insurance claim with one of our lawyers against the at-fault boater, and if he or she doesn’t have coverage, a lawsuit against him or her in Oregon civil court.
Boat operators in Oregon have a duty to operate their vessels safely and in accordance with the necessary rules and regulations. If you are injured due to operator negligence, the at-fault boater will be liable for your damages. Examples of boater negligence may include speeding, intoxicated operators, failure to warn passengers about hazardous conditions, or failure to properly maintain a boat. Speak to an attorney at DuBois Law Group as soon as possible to determine if you have grounds for a claim.
How Long Do You Have to File a Portland Boating Accident Claim?
If you plan to file a boating accident lawsuit against the person responsible for your injuries, you will need to adhere to the Oregon statute of limitations. You have two years from the date of your accident to file your lawsuit in Oregon civil court or your case will likely be dismissed. It is important to initiate your boating accident claim as soon as possible to protect your right to compensation.
Contact A Portland Boating Accident Lawyer From DuBois Law Group
If you are injured in a Portland boating accident, you deserve full compensation for your losses—and the attorneys at DuBois Law Group can help. Contact us today to schedule a free case consultation and discuss your legal options with a Portland boating accident attorney. (503) 222-4411