Portland Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer
The spinal cord is one of the most important and delicate structures in the body. This series of nerves and vertebrae is responsible for transmitting messages between the brain and the rest of the body. Any damage to the spinal cord can lead to a permanent loss of feeling and function below the injury site—leading to devastating, lifelong consequences.
If you suffer a spinal cord injury, you may have grounds for legal action—and the Portland spinal cord injury lawyers at DuBois Law Group can help. Our dedicated attorneys can help you hold the at-fault party accountable and recover the compensation you deserve.
Why Choose A Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer From DuBois Law Group?
- Our firm has secured millions of dollars in settlements and jury verdicts on behalf of our clients.
- We operate a separate medical department to connect our clients with the treatment and specialists they need for their spinal cord injury.
- Our Portland personal injury attorneys take on a limited number of cases at a time, allowing us to provide your case with the dedication and attention you deserve.
What Are The Leading Causes of Spinal Cord Injury?
The Miami Report collects data on the prevalence of spinal cord injuries in the United States, with their study demonstrating that approximately 17,180 new cases of these injuries occur each year. The leading causes of spinal cord injuries include the following.
- Car accidents are the leading cause of spinal cord injury, contributing to 38.6 percent of cases since 2015.
- Slip and fall accidents are the second-leading cause of spinal cord injury, comprising 32.2 percent of cases.
- 14 percent of spinal cord injuries occur due to acts of violence.
- 7.8 percent of spinal cord injury cases involve sports and recreational injuries.
- 4.2 percent of spinal cord injury cases since 2015 involved medical or surgical procedures.
What Damages Are Available in Oregon Spinal Cord Injury Lawsuits?
According to the NSCISC, spinal cord injuries result in extremely high lifetime costs. The average expenses for the first year of a spinal cord injury can range from $375,000 to $1.1 million. If a person is 25 years old at the time of his or her injury, his or her lifetime treatment costs could range from $1.7 million to $5.1 million.
Using a personal injury lawyer in Portland, you can recover compensatory damages to pay for these expenses. You have the right to recover damages for your economic, or financial, losses, as well as your non-economic pain and suffering. Common types of damages in spinal cord injury claims include the following.
- Past and future medical costs, including hospitalizations, surgeries, and medications
- Lost wages during recovery and a loss of future earnings, if the injury prevents you from going to work
- Property repairs and replacements for damage that you sustained in your accident
- The cost of mobility equipment, live-in care, rehabilitation, physical therapy, and other specialized treatment and disability accommodations
- Physical pain and suffering, such as disability, disfigurement, and chronic pain
- Emotional pain and suffering, such as depression, emotional distress, and loss of quality of life
Contact A Portland Spinal Cord Injury Attorney At DuBois Law Group
If you sustain a spinal cord injury due to another person’s actions, you could file an insurance claim or lawsuit against him or her. In these situations, trust the Portland spinal cord injury attorneys at DuBois Law Group to fight for your right to recovery. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and learn more about your next steps. (503) 222-4411