Portland injury attorney

Two More Lawsuits Filed Against Mid-Columbia Medical Center

Portland, OR (July 25, 2013) – The personal injury law firm DuBois Law Group filed two lawsuits on Monday against the Mid-Columbia Medical Center in The Dalles, where Dr. Frederick George Field worked as an anesthesiologist. Attorney Sean DuBois is seeking $8 million in damages on behalf of his clients, two of the victims.

“Both these women have suffered irreparable emotional harm. In fact, the whole state has been shocked by Dr. Field’s actions. And while Dr. Field is obviously responsible for his own actions, the hospital has to be held accountable for allowing him to treat patients even after being alerted to the possible abuse,” said DuBois.

The two plaintiffs were both treated by Dr. Field at Mid-Columbia Medical Center. One was put under anesthesia in 2009 for surgery, and one was treated in 2009 and 2010 for recurring headaches. Dr. Field was arrested in July 2011 and indicted in August 2011 for sexual abuse and rape of a dozen victims. He pleaded guilty to 11 counts of first-degree sex abuse and one count of first-degree rape, and in September 2012 was sentenced to 23 years in prison.

Both plaintiffs worked at Mid-Columbia as nurses at the time of the abuse. Because of this fact, sexual harassment and a hostile work environment are both claims in the lawsuit. The other claims against Mid-Columbia include negligence, battery, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

The suit also names two administrators of the facility at the time of the incidents as defendants, stating that Dianne Storby (Vice President of Medical Affairs) and Duane Francis (CEO) had knowledge of Dr. Field’s abuses since 2008 but failed to protect the plaintiffs.

Police investigation has shown that several patients and nurses had already informed the hospital’s administration about Dr. Field’s actions and his criminal sexual behavior. In fact, female staff made it a practice to ensure no one was alone with Dr. Field because of these concerns. Despite this knowledge, Mid-Columbia administration allowed Dr. Field to continue practicing and did not take any measures to prevent abuse of further patients.

Mid-Columbia has issued several statements to the effect that they took action as soon as possible and believe their reporting and safety practices are sufficient.

“Allegedly, they knew about the abuse since 2008. He was arrested in July 2011 – why was he allowed to be alone with women for almost 3 years? Because the hospital failed to act,” said DuBois.

DuBois Law Group is working closely with Kafoury & McDougal, another Portland law firm also representing victims of Dr. Field, in this matter.