Tips for Handling a Hit and Run Driver Claim
If you are the victim of a hit and run accident, you are likely to feel angry and confused about what to do under the circumstances. Many people are unsure of the next steps to take or how to file a claim. Below are some helpful tips to understand what to do if you were in a hit and run accident.
- The first step is try and stay as calm as possible and gather as much information as you can.
- The more information you gather, the more likely the police can catch who hit you and it helps your insurance company make decisions about your claim.
- Try to gather any information about the vehicle that hit you. Make, model, license plate number etc.
- Look around for any possible witnesses and get their name and contact information.
- Write down the time and location of the accident.
- Take photos of the accident scene.
- Take photos of your car to help with your insurance claim.
- If the hit and run occurred when you were away from your parked car, gather information about time, location and damage.
- Call the police as soon as possible to file an accident report that includes the names of any witnesses and other details.
- Uninsured motorist coverage will likely be what covers your hit and run accident.
- If you are able to identify the person who hit you, file a claim with their car insurance company.
- If the driver does not have insurance then it is best to contact a portland accident attorney.
- If you are unable to identify the person who hit you, or that person does not have adequate insurance to cover your damages, then you can file a claim with your own insurance company.
If you have further questions, contact your auto insurance provider or a Portland personal injury lawyer.