Railroad Crossing Safety Tips
A motorist is 20 times more likely to die in a crash involving a train than in one involving another motor vehicle.
Keep these tips in mind next time you are around a railroad crossing to avoid an accident:
- Always yield the right-of-way to the train; they cannot yield to you.
- Never ignore warnings such as: advance warning signs, railroad crossbuck signs and red flashing lights and gates.
- Trains can arrive at a faster pace than you may anticipate.
- Look both ways and listen when you see advance warning signs indicating a railroad crossing.
- Make sure traffic isn’t blocking the other side and that you can clear the tracks successfully.
- Stay away from bridges or tunnels with train tracks.
- Only cross tracks in designated areas.
- If your car stalls on train tracks, get out immediately and call the police.
In the event of an accident be sure to