Can I Sue A Car Insurance Company After an Accident?
What to Do If You ARE Seriously Injured in a Car Accident in Portland
While you can’t technically sue a car insurance company after a car accident, you can bring a claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance policy. Insurance companies, regardless of how necessary and helpful, are ultimately out to make money. That means that even if a car insurance provider offers you what appears to be a good settlement of your car accident claim, you should make sure you know what you are agreeing to before signing any paperwork.
In fact, the first offer from an insurance company probably isn’t one you want to take, and you may have to file a lawsuit against the car insurance policy holder to get the settlement you deserve. If you are injured in a car accident that was not your fault, you are entitled by Oregon law to be compensated for personal injuries, property damage, lost wages, pain and suffering and more. Consequently, you should be aware that any car insurance company involved in your claim will try to settle with you for as little as possible and discourage you from seeking legal assistance. Once you settle your car insurance claim, going back for more is nearly impossible.
At DuBois Law Group, we recommend that you consult with a personal injury attorney any time you file a car insurance claim with your provider or that of an at-fault party to make sure your right to collect the most in the way of financial assistance is not compromised.
Steps to Ensure that You File a Claim with the Insurance Company for Damages
Some things to keep in mind:
- Get medical attention for your injuries as soon as possible. If you don’t seek medical attention, it will be difficult to prove that you have a personal injury when (if) your lawsuit is litigated.
- Carefully comply with the instructions of your doctor. Don’t skip any tests or therapy he or she recommends.
- Schedule an appointment with an experienced Oregon personal injury attorney to assist you if you need to file a lawsuit.
- Keep all medical records, insurance information, and contact information handy to provide your attorney with the necessary paperwork to file your lawsuit.
- Once you hire a personal injury lawyer to help you with your claim, don’t speak with insurance providers or others about your case; let your lawyer speak for you.
At DuBois Law Group, we have had great success in the settlement, mediation, and litigation of car accident insurance claims. As experienced Oregon car accident attorneys, we invite you to take advantage of our free personal injury consultations to evaluate your case. Contact our car accident attorneys in Portland today for an honest evaluation of your car accident claim and solid advice concerning your chance of collecting damages should you choose to sue a car insurance company.