Back-to-School Safety Tips
September is here and that means time for the kids to start a new school year. Many parents have no idea what protections exist to keep kids safe during the school year. It is important for families to protect against any possible emergencies. More than half of families in the US with kids in school or child care have been personally affected by hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, floods, school shootings and other types of disasters. In the past year, there were at least 20 school shootings and 50 natural disasters that required a federal response.
In order to keep your family safe, it is important to understand the safety precautions of their school or child care. Make sure your child knows the parents phone number, address, another trusted adults number and how to call 911. Communication is critical to ensure proper safety in the case of an emergency.
Keeping your child safe while heading to and from school is another important safety precaution. Below are some important safety tips for your childs commute.
- Make sure to either walk your child to the bus stop/school or have them walk with a friend, sibling or neighbor.
- Teach your child never to talk to strangers.
- Be sure your child knows to obey all traffic signals.
- When driving your kids, deliver and pick them up as close to school as possible.
- Make sure they wear a helmet if biking to school.
- Remind them to stay seated on the bus at all times.
- Make sure the understand not to walk out in front of the bus.