Gresham Wrongful Death Lawyer
Losing a loved one is a painful and difficult experience. This pain can feel even more unbearable if someone else’s negligent actions caused your loved one’s death. In these situations, you could hold the at-fault party accountable through a wrongful death lawsuit—and the Gresham wrongful death attorneys at DuBois Law Group can help. Our lawyers will work tirelessly to help you and your family seek justice for your loved one.
Why Choose Us
- Our Gresham personal injury attorneys will leverage our knowledge, experience, and skills to help you and your family secure the best possible outcome.
- Our firm balances the power and resources of a large firm with the personalized attention and consistent communication of a small firm.
- Navigating the wrongful death claims process can be difficult after the loss of a loved one. Our attorneys will handle all aspects of your claim so your family can focus on healing.
Oregon Wrongful Death Laws
Under Oregon law, a wrongful death occurs when a person dies due to the negligent act or omission of another person. If your loved one could have filed a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party if he or she had lived, your case likely qualifies for a wrongful death action. You can file a wrongful death claim due to an accident, medical malpractice, or an intentional act of violence, and our Gresham wrongful death attorneys are here to help.
Common accidents involved in wrongful death claims include the following:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle collisions
- Truck accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Boating accidents
- Premises liability, or accidents on someone else’s property
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim in Gresham?
Only certain parties may file a wrongful death claim on behalf of a deceased person. Under Oregon law, only the personal representative of the deceased person’s estate may file the lawsuit. The deceased person will likely name his or her personal representative in his or her will or estate plan. If he or she did not name a personal representative, the court will appoint one on his or her behalf. A Portland injury attorney can assist with all of this.
Damages Available in a Wrongful Death Lawsuit
Through a wrongful death lawsuit, you and your family can recover compensation for the losses your loved one’s estate sustained due to the accident. Additionally, you can recover compensation for the pain and suffering your family experienced due to his or her passing. Common damages in wrongful death claims include the following:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Final medical expenses related to your loved one’s final injuries or illness
- Lost wages and benefits that your loved one would have earned if he or she had survived the accident
- The pain and suffering your loved one experienced prior to his or her death
- Loss of care, consortium, love, support, companionship, and services that your loved one would have provided to you and your family
Identifying damages in a wrongful death claim can be a complex process. Your wrongful death attorney from DuBois Law Group can conduct an in-depth investigation into his or her passing and identify the damages you qualify for. After gathering the necessary evidence to prove your claim, your attorney will advocate aggressively for your family’s right to maximum compensation.
Contact DuBois Law Group
If you lost a loved one due to someone else’s actions, you may have grounds for a wrongful death claim. In these situations, the wrongful death attorney in Portland at DuBois Law Group can help. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation and learn more about your legal options. (503) 222-4411