Portland injury attorney

What to Do After a Hit and Run Accident

What Should I Do if I’ve Been in a Portland Hit and Run? I don’t know who the driver is.

If you’ve been hit by a careless driver in a Portland hit and run crash, your whole life can get turned upside-down. Not only are you hurt, but you can face serious financial difficulties as well, and you might be wondering what to do after a hit and hit and run accident lawyerrun to pay your bills since you don’t know the identity of the other driver. You may not be able to work with your injuries. Medical bills are mounting. Even if you have health insurance, it can be a very difficult time.

Hit and run accidents are serious crimes and can have serious consequences. What many people do not know is that you can still recover compensation for your injuries even if you don’t know who hit you.

What to do after a hit and run accident in Portland:

  1. Try to get identifying info: license plate, car model, description of driver, etc. (by the time you read it’ll probably be too late for this, unfortunately)
  2. Try to get the contact information for any witnesses.
  3. Get medical treatment ASAP!!
  4. Submit an Accident and Insurance Report to the DMV.
  5. Contact our Portland hit and run accident lawyer for help with an investigation.
  6. If you are unable to find the driver, your injury lawyer will bring a claim for you under your UIM policy.

In Oregon, automobile insurance policies must include “Uninsured Motorist Protection,” also known as “UM” or “UIM” coverage. If you are hit by someone who doesn’t have insurance – and this includes hit-and-run drivers – then your own insurance “steps into the shoes” of the person who hit you, and if you make a claim correctly, they are required to pay you the same compensation that the at-fault driver’s insurance would have to pay, if only you knew who he was.

A skilled Portland hit and run accident lawyer will know how to use UIM to your advantage and help you secure the money you deserve for your property damage and medical bills. If you have been injured by hit and run driver, make sure that your lawyer knows about UM and how to use it. They can guide you through the legal process and help you understand what to do after a hit and run accident.

At DuBois Law Group, our personal injury attorneys have helped many accident victims get money through their UIM policy, and we can help you too. Just call (503) 222-4411 for a free consultation and let us help you figure out what to do after a hit and run – so that you get the compensation and justice you deserve.

Related Personal Injury Topics