Hillsboro Wrongful Death Lawyer
Suddenly losing a family member can be a very painful and difficult experience, especially if his or her death could have been prevented. However, when someone else’s negligence or carelessness results in another person’s passing, his or her family members may be eligible for legal action—and DuBois Law Group can assist with the next steps. Our Hillsboro wrongful death attorneys can hold the at-fault party accountable through a wrongful death lawsuit and secure justice on your loved one’s behalf.
Why Choose Us
- Our firm takes on a limited number of cases at a time, ensuring that we can provide you and your family with the dedication and personalized attention you deserve.
- We prioritize open and consistent communication from consultation to settlement. You will always have the opportunity to speak with your lawyer.
- Navigating a wrongful death claim can be difficult after the loss of a loved one. Thankfully, our Hillsboro personal injury lawyers will handle all aspects of your case so your family can focus on healing.
Oregon Wrongful Death Statute
In Oregon, a wrongful death occurs when a person dies due to the negligent, harmful, or intentional actions of another person. If your loved one could have filed a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party had he or she survived the accident, your family likely has grounds for wrongful death action.
At DuBois Law Group, our wrongful death lawyers handle claims that involve many types of accidents and negligent actions, including the following:
- Car accidents
- Dangerous and defective products
- Motorcycle collisions
- Dangerous property conditions
- Pedestrian accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Truck accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Slip and falls
- Construction accidents
- Boating accidents
Under Oregon law, a wrongful death lawsuit must be filed by the personal representative of the deceased person’s estate. Your loved one will have likely named a personal representative in his or her will or estate plan. If your loved one did not leave behind these documents, the court can appoint a personal representative on his or her behalf.
Damages Available in Hillsboro Wrongful Death Claims
Through one of our Hillsboro wrongful death lawyers, you and your family can recover compensation for the losses your loved one sustained due to his or her death. Common damages in Hillsboro wrongful death claims include the following.
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Final medical expenses related to your loved one’s passing
- Lost wages and benefits that your loved one would have earned if he or she survived the injury
- The pain and suffering your loved one experienced prior to his or her death
In addition to these losses, your family could also recover compensation for the loss of care, companionship, services, and society that your loved one had provided to you. In cases involving malice, a reckless disregard for your loved one’s safety, intentional harm, or extreme negligence, you may also recover compensation for punitive damages. Unlike compensatory damages, which are intended to reimburse the deceased’s losses, punitive damages are meant to punish the at-fault party.
To identify the compensation your family may qualify for, speak to a Hillsboro wrongful death attorney at DuBois Law Group as soon as possible. Your attorney can accurately calculate your estimated award and gather the evidence necessary to prove your family’s right to compensation.
Contact DuBois Law Group
Have you lost a loved one due to the negligence of another person? In these situations, the Hillsboro wrongful death lawyers at DuBois Law Group can help your family seek justice. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and discuss your legal options. (503) 222-4411